Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Not Like It's Brain Surgery......

I see Dr. H for my second opinion today, John accompanies me on this trip as he did last week.  I love him for this.  He's a great husband and is being very supportive, even sent me flowers for Valentines day, the note is still tacked up in my cubicle. 

Dr. H comes in, he talks about AN's, treatment options etc.  By now I have read alot about the surgery.  It's brain surgery.  You are in ICU for a day, then moved to a regular room if no complications for a few more days.  Dr. H says I will be out of work about 6 weeks, but surgery is his recommendation.  I question radiation, he cautions that if radiation is unsuccesful that surgical removal is then more difficult.  I've read that post operative headaches are very common, Dr. H addresses this as well, he outs the bone plate back in, not every surgeon does this.  I leave this appointment stunned.  I know that i was warned he was quick to operate, but surely the size of my AN would be a factor, it wasn't.

I go home and crawl into bed for the next 3 days.  How can this be happening?  Why me?  Why now?  I've just started a new job, my husband is still recovering from a car accident, the are other issues with the health of my son.  I don't have time for this, can't it just go away?

1 comment: